Request for Proposal
June 15, 2021
The Institute for Sustainable Communities (ISC) is an international non-governmental agency working to unleash the power of people to transform their communities in the face of climate change. ISC’s mission is to help communities, cities, and industry around the world address environmental, economic, and social challenges to build a better future shaped and shared by all.
Aiming to strengthen the lower Mekong region as a competitive and environmentally sustainable manufacturing hub, the Mekong Sustainability Manufacturing Alliance (MSMA or the Alliance) program is a newly awarded USAID-funded Alliance, led by ISC, driving private-sector adoption of improved environmental and social safeguards by factories in the food processing and textiles sectors. The program will focus primarily on Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam, with both country-specific and region-wide activities. A brands-led Alliance Leadership Group (ALG) advises the design and execution of the program, and has identified environmental, social and governance priorities for the program. The key environmental priorities include climate change and energy and waste mitigation and management.
Within these main categories, the ALG has also identified the key focus areas/subcategories as noted below.
1. Climate change and energy
- Energy efficiency and conservation
- Renewable energy
- Energy management
2. Waste mitigation and management
- Hazardous waste mitigation and management
- Packaging material waste mitigation and management
Scope of Work
ISC is seeking a Consultant to conduct a ESG Solutions Feasibility Research. The MSMA program will implement trainings and implement solutions/technologies for factories to advance their performance in these sub-categories. To determine which solutions/technologies to pilot, what trainings to provide and which organizations to partner with, we would like to better understand the solutions available to advance each of the subcategories and their feasibility for implementation. For example, for energy efficiency and conservation, opportunities may exist for advancement of energy efficient motors or industrial insulation.
The Consultant will be responsible for identifying these solutions and then determining their feasibility for implementation in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia as per the framework outlined below.
Solutions Feasibility Framework
- Solution identification: generally > 1 per ESG sub-category
- Solutions benefits: Factory-level; Brand-level, will it unlock more business or create more value*; ESG effectiveness/benefit to public good
- Adoption requirements/challenges: capacity requirements; investment requirements; enabling environment support
- Factory ROI: what is the perception/awareness of solution; compare benefits vs requirements; initial ROI assessment
- Parallel efforts/competitive efforts: what other programs are supporting (locally if available, or globally if not); how successful have these programs been; key challenges these programs faced; how thorough is that support/are there gaps; identify relevant case studies
- Potential technical partners: trainers/consultancies/gov’t agencies / industrial associations/technology providers/ ESCOs/academic research institutions
- Potential financing partners: relevant financing/FIs/programs
- Potential government partners: what are the relevant policies; which ministries support
- Rollout considerations: assess suitability across MSMA industries (textile/ food processing), assess geographic suitability by cluster, recommend target clusters within Vietnam
- Overall solution feasibility assessment: summary assessment of suitability for MSMA, likelihood of scaling outside of MSMA
* Resources to understand value creation for brands:
Ideally, the consultant will conduct the feasibility research for Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia across the aforementioned focus areas/subcategories, interested Consultant can express interest for a specific country(ies) or specific focus area. Both individual consultants and organizations/firms are encouraged to apply.
The Consultant must have:
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Strong experience in environmental sustainability; preference for factory/industry experience in Asia, preferably Thailand, Vietnam and/or Cambodia.
- Demonstrated knowledge of technologies and solutions available to advance climate change mitigation, energy efficiency and waste management/mitigation.
- Self-starter, detail-oriented, thorough and well organized with ability to produce high quality deliverables under challenging deadlines.
- Excellent spoken and written English is required; Thai and/or Vietnamese preferred.
Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services, along with cost information, by submitting a proposal via email to [email protected], with RFP – ESG Solutions Feasibility Research Consultant in the subject line by July 23, 2021.
Proposals should include the following information:
- Name and contact details
- Narrative piece, that outlines the suggested methodology, workplan and other technical inputs for the assignment. Also, include the geography and sector focus. (maximum 5 pages)
- Description of qualifications in a CV (maximum 3 pages)
- Three references who can speak to consultant’s successful completion of similar work, with contact details (email and telephone)
- Cost information. The consultant should submit a detailed cost proposal in USD. This should include the estimated number of days required to complete the assignment along with all fees including professional fee and any relevant taxes.